For optimum performance and safety, it is recommended that all installation, service and annual inspection be performed by a qualified person or agency.
Make sure that:
- Clearances to combustibles warning signs are posted and the area around the heater is free of combustible materials.
- The manufacturer’s Installation, Operation and Service manual is legible and is kept in a clean, dry place. Contact the manufacturer for replacement.
- All warning labels are attached and legible. Contact the manufacturer for replacement.
- The reflector is in good condition and free of dust and debris. Clean outside surface with a damp cloth, if needed. Reflector must be properly resting on mounting brackets and not the tube itself.
- Vent pipe and outside air inlet are free of dirt, obstructions, cracks, gaps in the sealed areas or corrosion. Look for bird or insect nests. Remove any carbon deposits. Tubes are connected and suspended securely. There should be no holes, cracks or distortion on any part of the tube, especially the top.
- The gas line has no gas leaks. Check gas connection and verify proper inlet pressures are satisfied; refer to the manufacturer’s Installation, Operation and Service manual.
- Combustion chamber and burner observation windows are clean and free of cracks or holes.
- Blower impeller fan and motor are clean. Blow off any accumulated dust with an air compressor.
- Burner and orifice are clean.
- Igniter and electrode are not cracked, broken, eroded or showing signs of wear. Insure proper gaps. Repair/replace as needed.
- All electrical connections, thermostats, sensors and control devices have no exposed wire, corrosion or damage to the device or its wiring.
- Suspension of the heater is secure and in accordance with manufacturer’s requirements. Look for signs of wear on the chain or ceiling.
- Pump and blower inlets and outlets are free of blockage or soot.
- Ceramic tiles in burner assembly are not operating in a flashback condition (burning behind grids).
- Ceramic tiles are not cracked. Ceramic burner assembly gaskets must be in place. Do not clean with high pressure air.
For a complete checklist, reference the manufacturer’s Installation, Operation and Maintenance manual.